Dogs and kids are one of a kind when we’re talking about curiosity. They’re all about the sniffing and tasting everything they find interesting - and that’s why you need to learn more about what type of objects can be a potential danger to your pet!
“Happiness is a warm puppy.” - Charles M. Schulz
Many people think poinsettias are poisonous to their pets, it’s a very common belief. But that’s one plant you don’t need to worry about as much as lilies. Even though it’s still good to keep poinsettias out of reach from your pets, when dogs ingest lilies, it results in a severe gastrointestinal upset.
Some symptoms to watch out for:
- Smacking their lips
- Shaking their heads
Chocolate and Sweets
Chocolate has an ingredient called theobromine that’s a stimulant, and it’s okay for humans since we digest it fast. However, dogs have a different system and digest it a lot slower, which can be really bad for them causing tremors, coma, cardiac arrhythmia, and worst cases, even death.
Common theobromine poisoning symptoms include:
- Heavy panting
- Increased need to pee
As for the sweets:
They’re not necessarily bad for dogs, but most dog foods already has the amount of sugar a dog needs for energy added to it, so if you keep giving your dog sugary snacks, they probably end up with dental caries, hyperactivity, obesity, and diabetes.
Much like Christmas decorations (or any other holiday, as a matter of fact) have the pet’s attention due to bright colors, children’s toys have the same appeal to dogs!
You need to be careful because children’s toys are made of hard materials that can hurt your dog’s teeth, or make them choke. Some toys are even made with chemicals to prevent mold from building up - and those are especially dangerous to dogs since they can cause poisoning as well.
Coffee, Tea, and Alcohol
Both tea and coffee contain caffeine, which is awesome for humans to stay awake, but for dogs it can be harmful. More than two small sips can make your dog feel uncomfortable. Alongside that, imagine yourself having alcohol poisoning...it’d take a lot of alcohol, right? So, since a dog’s system is rather different from ours, they can have that same poisoning with just a glass of an alcoholic beverage.
If your dog has poisoning (from any of these beverages) you’ll notice symptoms like:
- Increased thirst and urination
- Racing heart
- Decreased coordination
It’s never enough to highlight that humans and dogs are two different species, meaning that they have different systems and react differently to each type of food, drink, or scents! When it comes to scented candles, humans can tell that even though the smell is amazing, they’re not supposed to eat the candles.
Dogs don’t have that same instinct, if they smell something good, they’ll definitely try to eat it. And that’s the case with scented candles - especially the ones that are vanilla-scented! Common sense tells us that scented candles are incredibly poisonous to your furry friend. In addition to that, a dog’s fur is very easy to set on fire, so if your pet gets close enough to the candles, bad things may happen.
- This Is How Dog Half Wraps Work
- The Beginner’s Guide to Raising a Puppy
- 6 Unexpected Reasons Why Your Dog Should Sleep on Your Bed
How do you usually protect your dog from potential dangers? Let us know your own tips in the comments below and find more ways to take care of your Pets!Join the conversation